Re: task & skills

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Christian, hi Dale,

> > do either use the high standards I want to use for my applicants and they
> > see that others with lower skills are already accepted by other AMs or
> > when I do suggest that they should become members of Debian before I do
> > really think they are ready. When I see that a package with missing build
> > dependencies (except debhelper) that has in debian/copyright a "Copyright:
> > not yet known" and 2 other bugs is enough to become a Debian maintainer
> > (http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss-0011/msg00103.html) I
> > can't see any quality standards that are needed.
>
> Have you ever mailed about this to the AMs and the NM-Frontdesk
> (especially Dale) and told them your concerns to discuss this out and
> find a better solution? If not, I definitely recommend doing so, before
> blaiming here the whole NM-process. (And yes, I know what I say, because
> I already had some things to discuss about the NM-process with Dale and
> so I know that you can discuss with him things). If yes, then this
> behaviour of some AMs should be publically discussed even if it's needed
> on debian-project. But just moaning here on to list where not many
> people see it, won't help improve the situation.
>
> > After the discussion where James and Martin totally disagreed with me I
> > decided I'll stop being an AM after I'll have processed my two applicants.
>
> Just because the person creating accounts and and AM have a different
> view, you just quit without talking with the head of the NM process?
> Sorry to say, but this is idiotic. James has not more influence on the
> NM process then you. So if you want to see some changes, then you are
> free to contact Dale and convince him.

you are right, I didn't contact Dale after the discussion with James and
Martin. I was under the impression that if the DAM says that it he don't
understand me his opinion is some kind of a final judgement. I did only
send my general concerns about the speed some AMs process the applicants
in http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss-0011/msg00050.html
some time ago.

Martin is only "an AM", but he has already processed 42 applicants (more
than 25% of all processed applicants) and if he continues with his speed
he will process half of all applicants.

Dale: It was my fault not trying to contact you. I haven't seen your
      opinion in this discussion. Could you tell what you think about it
      or if you want you can discuss my views with me privately.

Sorry that I didn't try to contact all people I should have contacted. I
was a bit frustrated after the discussion and did only think of it again
after I saw earlier in this thread that other AMs have the same
problems/concerns I have. It might be I did some mistakes.

One important thing: Don't let us forget our main goal: Debian.
I have perhaps more a QA view when I think of such things than other
people. It isn't important who of us is right or wrong. Let's discuss
together what's best for Debian as a whole.

> Ciao
>      Christian

cu,
Adrian