Re: Bug #67746

On Aug 04, Gerhard Poul wrote:
> The message in this bug might be interesting for you.  (I hope so)
>
> I think this is really important for a distribution but some of the
> maintainers seem to disagree with me in this point.

To summarize the bug: the logging behavior of the snmp package changed
when we switched from CMU SNMP to the UCD implementation.

Here's what I think:

1. I agree the change from CMU to UCD snmp should have been better
documented.  Perhaps the maintainer should have made it more obvious
by calling the UCD package "ucd-snmp", as he named the source package.

2. However, I don't think it's a good idea for maintainers to
gratuitously change upstream behavior.  AFAIK you are the only person
who has brought up the logfile format change as being a problem.
Since the maintainer (David Engel) didn't know it was going to be a
problem, I don't see how he'd do anything different.

3. You can always keep using snmp from stable if you prefer its behavior.

Chris