Re: Auto. security upgrades

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 01:17:47PM +0200, arto.astala@nokia.com wrote:
> Thierry Laronde <thierry.laronde@polynum.com> 02 Mar, 2000 12:38
> >
> > Well, there are two problems :
> >
> > 1) It's much more difficult to change the internals of dpkg
> > than to use some
> > tricks in order to implement these "security updates". So,
> > with my proposal,
> > I'm not quite sure that a prompt would be in some way feasible ;
>
> Maybe that can be arranged by definition:
> - if
>    dpkg or dselect or apt or swim (or ...) somewhere near
>    the end complains about dependencies that cannot be met
>    for packages on hold
>   then
>    we may be able to modify the message to indicate that
>    this may mean that a security update is needed
>
> >[..]
>
> The situation seems to be slightly complicated by the fact
> that we have several tools and combinations of tools to do
> basically the same job. Have you checked dpkgV2 spec? Will
> this be any easier then?
>
> If we find that there is at least one tool or combination of
> tools that does the job then we can recommend that. Then users
> and admins can take this info in consideration when selecting
> their tools and planning their work procedures.

I have not, at the moment, looked at the code. But --- for another reason ---
I want to give a look to apt. If I have the time, I will search if our
propositions are feasible.

Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>
10, rue du Bel Air, 74000 ANNECY / Tel.-Fax : 33.(0)4.50.67.46.61
website : http://www.polynum.com
/home du SDF (Site Debian Francophone) : http://www.polynum.com/debian/