Re: How to adopt a package

On Feb 07, Carsten Leonhardt wrote:
> I want to adopt a package (zile). It's listed as orphaned in the
> wnpp. I already mailed to wnpp and the former maintainer a bit more
> than a week ago (just after the last update of the wnpp on the web, it
> seems), but got no reactions. The former maintainer orphaned it in
> January 1999 (see
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9901/msg02375.html).

If it's orphaned according to WNPP, all you have to do is email WNPP
saying you adopt it, and then upload a new version.

> Now, I surely can't just upload the package pretending to be the new
> maintainer?

Actually, you can.  Modify debian/control to list yourself as the
maintainer and *presto* it will work (the BTS and other things may
take a few days to pick up the change, though).

Chris
|       Chris Lawrence       |   Your source for almost nothing of value:   |
|  <quango@watervalley.net>  |           http://www.lordsutch.com/          |
|    Open Directory Editor   |    Visit the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5:    |
|      http://dmoz.org/      |    <*> http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ <*>    |