Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:32:50 +0000
From: Jammin Wheeler <cziabjw@brucia.ulcc.ac.uk>
To: wakkerma@debian.org
Cc: b.wheeler@ulcc.ac.uk, jammin@life.eu.org
Subject: Status of install-info

I'm sending you this directly rather than to the bugs submission list
because I am concerned that it needs to be fixed promptly before potato
is released and I don't think the bugs list has given it enough priority.

I'm also offering directly to help with it.

install-info is broken, badly, and because so many packages use it and its
brokenness can and does prevent their successful installation I believe it
should be absolute top priority.

Many different bugs occur due to its brokenness. The most frequently reported
are that it cannot cope if /usr/info/dir is missing or doesn't contain what
it should. There are others, like this:
Can't "last" outside a block at /usr/sbin/install-info line 229.
which causes it to bail out leaving dir.lock and thus preventing any more
successful usage.
It is also capable of leaving dir itself in a broken or unusable state.
All these problems need to be addressed as a whole, and as a whole they add
up to a Critical in my book. Despite ever ascending version numbers, no-one
seems to have started addressing the problems. If you find you have inadequate
time to do so, I am offering to do so during the coming week.

Please let me know if I can help in any way. I am extremely keen to get this
fixed, because until it is Debian as a whole looks broken and I can't persuade
my work colleagues to switch over from the dreaded Redhat...

--
Ben/Jammin Wheeler  <b.wheeler@ulcc.ac.uk>
a perl CGI script using DNA spoofing to masquerade as a unix sysadmin

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Jammin Wheeler  <jammin@life.eu.org>
a perl CGI script using DNA spoofing to masquerade as a unix sysadmin