Re: packages for removal from woody

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 11:17:19PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 08:45:43PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > I think playmidi serves a useful function. I have decent hardware MIDI
> > so I do not need the software wavetable services of timidity. It works
> > OK for me.
>
> I take it this is an offer to maintain it? :-)
> Remember, the package is orphaned.

Err, well when you put it like that, I can't really say no can I? :-)

I looked through the bug reports; doesn't seem too bad. At least one
of the wishlist bugs can be closed -- it asks that playmidi not
depend on xlib6g (but we consider xlib6g a reasonably standard
package even for non-X machines).

I've done some moderately low level MIDI stuff on MS Winblows
so I might be able to fix some of the others as well. Mind you, MIDI
is a black art at times. (Actually, I used to write commercial music
software for Windows.)

Here's an example: our software worked fine on most hardware, but not
with a particularly expensive Roland sound module. On that module, the
timing of playback was all screwed up -- which is weird since timing
is usually controlled completely by the host computer. Turns out that
the Roland module takes longer to load instruments from its ROM than
most modules, so instrument changes delay any notes that follow too soon
after. Argh.

So, after all that rambling, I suppose I should accept!

Hamish