Re: packages for removal from woody

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 06:54:10PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I think we should remove some of the older orphaned packages from the
> unstable archive (woody). No, not from frozen - we kept them this long, we
> can keep them for this release. Richard Braakman (the release manager) told
> me he agrees.
>
> The point is, they have been orphaned for too long, and it appears nobody
> wants them enough to adopt them... it someone appears to want them now, they
> can pick them up from project/orphaned directory on any Debian FTP mirror.
>
> Also, the QA people really have better things to do than to keep fixing some
> old and probably forgotten packages, please understand that.
>
> Here is an excerpt from WNPP's orphaned packages list, I'm including some
> interesting (read: really old) entries:
[..] Personnaly agree, but I'm not a developer yet.

I have one suggestion to add : playmidi.

     * By Steve McIntyre (stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk):
         (139 Days Orphaned)
             playmidi

I had a look to the BTS and all the bugs are upstream dependant (one open
since 1997). But :

- I have been unable to find a sign of an active development : seems stop
till 1996; the only page found was referring to Debian pages, or rpm...

- timidity provides same functions or more,is GPLed, has console and X11
support, is actively under development (0.2i was released in 1995, but
I found 2.1.8 (IIRC) release in december 1999);

- I have seen at least one ITP about a package referring to timidity. So,
perhaps not a "standard", but something other people take care off.

I have already sent a bug report against ftp.debian.org suggesting to drop
the package.

Thanks.
--
Thierry LARONDE