Re: Mandelspawn under GPL1

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 12:40:32PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> > The Mandelspawn package has a copyright of GPL version 1. What do I do?
> > Include a copy of the GPL1 in the debian/copyright file? ask the author to
> > change to GPL2?
>
> Yes, and yes.

And of course, the second yes takes precedence over the first one :-)
It will be better that you ask the author to switch to GPL2 before
including GPL1 in copyright file.

> > or get a copy of GPL1 included in base-files?
>
> Rather pointless IMO...

I fully agree with Josip.

What I do in base-files regarding this is to try to keep always
the latest version of every license, and sometimes also the
previous one when we are in the "middle of a transition period".

GPL1 is old enough so I consider the "transition period" from GPL1 to
GPL2 to be already "finished". [ On the contrary, LGPL2.1 is still quite
new so I will keep LGPL2.0 for some time ].

Yet another thing you could do, if license says "GPLv1 or above", is to
relicense the debian package to "GPLv2 or above". Most GPLed packages
allow this. This is of course a worse solution than asking the author to
do the same "upstream".

Thanks.

--
 "ac50864f84b91251347e09c7b304a843" (a truly random sig)