Re: mmm and ocamltk80 (Re: Debian sponsor)

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 09:26:58PM +0900, Masayuki Hatta wrote:

> Torsten Landschoff <torsten@pclab.ifg.uni-kiel.de> also said he was willing to
> maintain it, but we met some difficulties and now he's gone for vacation...

Did I say that? Sorry, but I am currently quite busy and as I invest more of
my time into QA I would like to only maintain packages which I use personally.
Of course I would volunteer to get a package into shape but I am not sure
if it is a good idea for me to become the official maintainer.

> 1) License problem
>
> I thought the INRIA license is compliant with DFSG, but some people in
> -legal@org said the license is not clear enough to ensure the creation of
> binaries from modified source.  I've sent an e-mail to INRIA to ask them
> about it, but don't get any reply yet...

The INRIA license really sucks. It is incompatible with the GPL and what not.
That was the reason why mosml (my first package...) did not get into the
archive. It was derived from Caml Light from INRIA but the changes were GPL.
As both licenses are incompatible there is no way to mix them without an
additional clause to the GPL.

> Could you possibly ask them?  I can't read or write in French, so I don't
> understand what they say at www.inria.fr(English page was not available at
> that time).  the license seems to be translated from French, so the meaning
> might be different from the original one.

I do not speak french also. Perhaps Raphael could help?

> 2) Tcl/Tk problem
>
> I used Japanized Tcl/Tk to build those packages, so eventually they depend
> on tcl8.0-ja/tk8.0-ja.  Since it's impossible to make them depend on
> tcl/tk8.0-ja AND tcl/tk8.0, the only way we can do now is those damn
> forking...I mean, we'll have to provide mmm, mmm-ja, ocamltk80 and
> ocamltk80-ja for Japanese support.
> Well, I don't think it's good idea, but that's the way it is...
> I've heard Tcl/Tk 8.2 tried but failed to support Japanese(and other
> multibyte characters).  Maybe we should talk with Tcl/Tk(and Tcl-ja/Tk-ja)
> maintainers.
>
> I'm trying to solve these situations, but it's kinda tough for me.  Any
> ideas?

I would suggest you to contact the Tcl/Tk maintainer and ask what the current
state of the i18n support is. Perhaps you could just install tcl82 and try it
out?

> IMHO MMM is still one of the finest Web browsers, so I'm very glad if you or
> Torsten take it.  I'm ready to help you.

In case you really want that package I suggest you maintain it yourself. I can
of course sponsor it and it seems (according to -devel-announce) that
new-maintainer will be working again in short time so you can become a Debian
maintainer.

> Cheers,
> MH

cu