Re: Release problems with slang?

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 05:49:26AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:33:05AM +0200, Jim Mintha wrote:
> > I have been talking to Christian. The new packages of slang are ready
> > to go. I have been waiting for other people to upgrade their packages
> > to slang1_1.2.2-3 which fixes a dependancy problem. Most people have
> > updated their packages but there were a few more that had promised to
> > upload soon. As soon as 1.3.8 is uploaded those packages will break
> > (and since a couple of them and slang are all default packages this
> > means most upgrades of potato will break) I announced most of this
> > before.
>
> Does this mean that the new slang package should be named slang1.3?
>
> If backwards compatability isn't maintained, what's the rational for
> keeping the same package name?

No there is backward compatibility, but the earlier versions of slang
1.2.2 had a shlibs.depend that created a dependency on slang1 << 1.3 which
was wrong.  So there were two options:

1) make a slang1.3 package (and a slang1.4 package etc) even though
they were compatible
2) Uploaded a slang 1.2.x package that fixed shlibs.depend and get the
slang dependent packages to recompile.

After discussing it on the mailing lists I went with 2, and most
packages have now been updated.

Jim

--
Jim Mintha                                       Email: jim@ic.uva.nl
System Administrator                              Work: +31 20 525-4919