Re: Release problems with slang?

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 01:34:51AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org> wrote:
> > Format: 1.6
> > Date: Sun,  3 Oct 1999 13:17:33 +0200
> > Source: jed
> > Binary: jed-sl jed-common xjed jed
> > Architecture: source i386 all
> > Version: 0.99.9-1
> >  jed        - Editor for programmers. (textmode version)
> >  jed-common - Byte compiled SLang runtime files for jed and xjed.
> >  jed-sl     - Sources of Slang runtime files for jed and xjed
> >  xjed       - Editor for programmers. (x11 version)
> > Changes:
> >  jed (0.99.9-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * New upstream version ! Fixes a lot of bugs.
> >    * This one's static linked against the slang1_1.3.8 since the maintainer of
> >      slang didn't upload the latest version within the last two month :-(
>
> Static linking, because the maintainer of another library has not updated
> it? This is bad. Have you contacted the maintainer? Is it time for Quality
> Assurance to step in? Anybody want to do a NMU of slang?

I have been talking to Christian.  The new packages of slang are ready
to go.  I have been waiting for other people to upgrade their packages
to slang1_1.2.2-3 which fixes a dependancy problem.  Most people have
updated their packages but there were a few more that had promised to
upload soon.  As soon as 1.3.8 is uploaded those packages will break
(and since a couple of them and slang are all default packages this
means most upgrades of potato will break)  I announced most of this
before.

I don't mean to deflect all the criticism as I have been on and off on
holiday and haven't been bugging the other people as much as I
should.  I will do an upload today.

Jim

--
Jim Mintha                                       Email: jim@ic.uva.nl
System Administrator                              Work: +31 20 525-4919