Re: RFC: Debian Quality Assurance Group

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:

> > > Well, if a maintainer doesn't close old bugs on his packages, he
> > > should first be warned to do so. Of course, pointers on how to
> >
> > In my opinion it should be enough as a warning to write a message to
> > this bugreport, as the message gets forwarded to the maintainer.

> Fine with me, but I don't think we should clutter the BTS with that :)

Ok, now problem, this was only a idea.

> > > do this (and a link to the help pages) would be nice. Also, the
> > > usual offer, to let you do that for him.
> >
> > Well, the link to the help pages is obsolete, as a maintainer should
> > know how to close bugs. The other point is a good one.

> Should know. Big number of them do *not* know, so we must tell them how.

Well, in the developer-references is the BTS and the way how to use it
described and so every developer should know how or know where it is
written down.

> > > If the maintainer doesn't respond, I think we should be able to close
> > > the bugs after three months... they really aren't of any use, since
> > > they've already been fixed.
> >
> > Not every bug, as it should be fixed.

> I don't really understand this sentence.

I meant, that you shouldn't  close every bug, only the bugs, which have
been fixed.

> > If a bug is older than 3 months
> > and it's definitly fixed, then we should have the right to close the
> > bugreport also.

> If it is fixed by a maintainer upload, then yes. If it was fixed by a
> NMU, and maintainer didn't do anything yet, the package has probably
> been marked orphaned by that time. But it is possible that the maintainer
> just didn't remember to merge the NMU patch in and close the bug.

That's right, but what should we do in the last case, which you
described?

> > And what then if we find a bug older than 3 months, fix
> > it and the maintainer doesn't respond to the patch, when we send it to
> > him? How long should we wait before we do an NMU and close the
> > bugreport? This should also be written down, so that conflicts about
> > this problem will be reduced.

> Well, this is all actually covered by the QA text. Maybe I should clarify
> that everything in the text applies both to new *and* old bugs... with
> this change in the relevant sentence:

> :When QA Group members find problems in maintained packages (packages that
> :have an active maintainer), or solutions for already reported problems
> :against those packages, they will send fixes to their maintainers through
> :the bug tracking system (BTS).

> Okay?

Yes, that's better.

Cheers
       Christian
--
There must be at least 500,000,000 rats in the United States; of course,
I never heard the story before.