Re: RFC: Debian Quality Assurance Group

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 11:00:42PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > So I would like to ask, if the members of the QA-Team should have the
> > right to close bug-reports if they are fixed or they fix them?

> They now have the right to close those against orphaned packages,
> and mark 'fixed' those against maintained packages.
> I personally like this, no need to change it.

Ok, this is also OK for me, but my intent was more on the next
parapraph, than the above one.

> > Maybe we should limit this to bugs older than x month and I would
> > suggest x=3.

> Well, if a maintainer doesn't close old bugs on his packages, he
> should first be warned to do so. Of course, pointers on how to

In my opinion it should be enough as a warning to write a message to
this bugreport, as the message gets forwarded to the maintainer.

> do this (and a link to the help pages) would be nice. Also, the
> usual offer, to let you do that for him.

Well, the link to the help pages is obsolete, as a maintainer should
know how to close bugs. The other point is a good one.

> If the maintainer doesn't respond, I think we should be able to close
> the bugs after three months... they really aren't of any use, since
> they've already been fixed.

Not every bug, as it should be fixed. If a bug is older than 3 months
and it's definitly fixed, then we should have the right to close the
bugreport also. And what then if we find a bug older than 3 months, fix
it and the maintainer doesn't respond to the patch, when we send it to
him? How long should we wait before we do an NMU and close the
bugreport? This should also be written down, so that conflicts about
this problem will be reduced.

> I'll add all this in the QA text.

Thanks!

Cheers
       Christian
--
There must be at least 500,000,000 rats in the United States; of course,
I never heard the story before.