Re: upstream bug fixes to procps

(Craig, procps.deb maintainer cc'ed)

Hi Albert,

According to the latest changelog (upstream: 2.0.0; debian version: 2),
about half of these bugs are fixed, albeit not actually closed.

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 12:13:16AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> -------------- debian bug list --------------------
> #34394: ps can't handle PIDs > 30000
> fixed, in the previous version
> #34956: ps formatting problem
> C library problem, patch and workaround included
> #35240: procps: /bin/ps must always exist
> Debian bug: oldps should not be renamed or it should be in /usr/ucb.
> #35247: procps: ps.bsd should be in /bin
> Debian bug: oldps should not be renamed or it should be in /usr/ucb.
> #34580: procps: 'w' does not handle unix98 ptys properly
> fixed a long time ago

These are all marked as fixed by 2.0.0-2. This is in the current unstable,
but not any of the released version of Debian. I'm not sure if Craig
prefers to keep bugs around 'til they're fixed in stable or not.

> #33023: procps: cpu times and percentages are half what I expect
> fixed
> #34250: watch segfaults
> fixed, in the previous version
> #35756: procps: wrong spacing in vmstat header
> fixed
> #19208: skill uses commandline not process name
> then again, someone would report a bug if it was the other way (it is now)

There's no indication in the changelog.Debian that these are fixed though,
AFAICT.

> #27291: Top is confused with too many processes
> not reproducable, likely fixed a long time ago
> #33284: vmstat reporting incorrect CPU idle time
> Give me an account... I simply can not test this.
> #34734: proctop occasionally reports outrageous % idle
> kernel support is required to fix this
> #35520: dpkg-source -x procps_2.0.0-2.dsc failes on wrong patch
> Debian bug
> #35137: Zombies
> not really a bug
> #24531: procps: incorrect w output with bash pipelines
> this should be a wishlist item
> #29970: watch does not obey SIGWINCH.
> OK, I suppose this is a real bug :-)
> #19171: 'w' IDLE time not consistent
> yeah, that sucks
> #21473: procps no longer has colours
> sick

And these are not-a-fixable-bug one way or another.

FWIW, etc.

Cheers,
aj