Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

Christian Kurz schrieb am Mittwoch, den 01. Dezember 1999:

> > My experience is, that the libc6 versions of netscape 4.61 and 4.7
> > are not really stable with libc 6.1. To be precise, both programs
> > often (not always) die, when you enter a wrong password or when
> > you close a netscape window (I normally work with many netscape
> > windows, which cA

> Strange, I didn't notice this effect here.

I noted this problem many times with navigator 4.61 (<=4.61-9) and
also with 4.7 (<=4.7-13).  It most often happened, when I killed the
first window (where I opened many other windows from using the middle
mouse button).  Only killing the last opened window was quite secure.

> > be opened by pressing Alt-n or by opening a new URL with the middle
> > mouse button.  Then I close unneeded windows by simply "deleting" them
> > via the window manager.

> Why do you kill them? If use Alt-n to open them, then use Alt-w to
> close them.

Because I never thought about the question, whether there is a key
binding for this :-)
Anyway, don't ask me, why I use this, but ask whether this doesn't
work with libc6.1 and a libc6 netscape, while it works with the libc5
netscape without problems and also with libc6.0 and libc6 netscape.

> > completely die when closing one window).  In contrast to this,

> What if you try to use the closing-mechanism of netscape?

I don't want to change my behavior just to make netscape happy.
Netscape is a computer program and it's job is to make me happy.  And
this is possible, because the libc5 version works without problems
here (except the fact, that I have to restart it at least once a week,
because it eats my memory).

> > netscape was much more stable with libc 6.0 and also the libc 5
> > versions are much more stable than the libc6 version in combination
> > with libc 6.1.

> I think that this is more a problem of the way you use to close
> netscape windows and not of the libc that netscape uses.

I don't like a program to die, when I only close a window, especially
if other versions of this program (or of libc6) work without problems.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *