Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

On 99-11-30 Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> Christian Kurz schrieb am Dienstag, den 30. November 1999:

What does this mean? ;)

> > Does netscape really needs libc5?

> > shorty@jupiter% ldd /opt/netscape/netscape
> [...]
> >         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40151000)

> > This Version oft Netscape doesn't need a libc5 and is running very
> > well here. So why do we need the libc5 version?

> My experience is, that the libc6 versions of netscape 4.61 and 4.7 are
> not really stable with libc 6.1.  To be precise, both programs often
> (not always) die, when you enter a wrong password or when you close a
> netscape window (I normally work with many netscape windows, which cA

Strange, I didn't notice this effect here. I will try to reproduce it,
but I'm not sure if I will  be able to do so.

> be opened by pressing Alt-n or by opening a new URL with the middle
> mouse button.  Then I close unneeded windows by simply "deleting" them
> via the window manager.  The libc6 versions of Netscape often

Why do you kill them? If use Alt-n to open them, then use Alt-w to close
them.

> completely die when closing one window).  In contrast to this,

What if you try to use the closing-mechanism of netscape?

> netscape was much more stable with libc 6.0 and also the libc 5
> versions are much more stable than the libc6 version in combination
> with libc 6.1.

I think that this is more a problem of the way you use to close netscape
windows and not of the libc that netscape uses.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *