Re: RFC: Debian Quality Assurance Group

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 03:45:59PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > Maybe we should limit this to bugs older than x month and I would
> > > suggest x=3.
>
> > Well, if a maintainer doesn't close old bugs on his packages, he
> > should first be warned to do so. Of course, pointers on how to
>
> In my opinion it should be enough as a warning to write a message to
> this bugreport, as the message gets forwarded to the maintainer.

Fine with me, but I don't think we should clutter the BTS with that :)

> > do this (and a link to the help pages) would be nice. Also, the
> > usual offer, to let you do that for him.
>
> Well, the link to the help pages is obsolete, as a maintainer should
> know how to close bugs. The other point is a good one.

Should know. Big number of them do *not* know, so we must tell them how.

> > If the maintainer doesn't respond, I think we should be able to close
> > the bugs after three months... they really aren't of any use, since
> > they've already been fixed.
>
> Not every bug, as it should be fixed.

I don't really understand this sentence.

> If a bug is older than 3 months
> and it's definitly fixed, then we should have the right to close the
> bugreport also.

If it is fixed by a maintainer upload, then yes. If it was fixed by a
NMU, and maintainer didn't do anything yet, the package has probably
been marked orphaned by that time. But it is possible that the maintainer
just didn't remember to merge the NMU patch in and close the bug.

> And what then if we find a bug older than 3 months, fix
> it and the maintainer doesn't respond to the patch, when we send it to
> him? How long should we wait before we do an NMU and close the
> bugreport? This should also be written down, so that conflicts about
> this problem will be reduced.

Well, this is all actually covered by the QA text. Maybe I should clarify
that everything in the text applies both to new *and* old bugs... with
this change in the relevant sentence:

:When QA Group members find problems in maintained packages (packages that
:have an active maintainer), or solutions for already reported problems
:against those packages, they will send fixes to their maintainers through
:the bug tracking system (BTS).

Okay?