Re: Another job for the QA team

Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> What about install-window-manager be change for sleeping in background
> until all packages are installed (it's mean until dpkg stop) then show
> a nice tty menu allowing you to choices your default WM? With a little
> work, it can also let you comment or moves entries around (for used in
> Xsession).

This doesn't t solve the problem (it could be done with the hooks mechanism).
This would still cause the installation to ask me if wm xyz should be the
default window manager if only one of our 20 window managers has been
updated for the daily dselect run.  Well, it's obvious that I don't want
to use the newest twm, olvwm, blackbox or whatever as default window
manager when there is vtwm for years.

What is needed is a defined way the file looks like if there is no
default window manager (i.e. for a brandnew installation) or if
there is one already installed in which case no wm postinst must ask
me any such question.

In case of a brandnew installation I would appreciate a hooks oriented
or somehow otherwise oriented mechanism which would check which window
manages I have installed and then come up with:

  I've found these window managers installed on your system:

  a) ctwm
  b) twm
  c) afterstep
  d) blackbox
  e) gnome
  f) vtwm

  Please chose which of these shall be set as default [a]: f <------- Only *one* question instead of 20

> > > And of course, dpkg asks questions when trying to upgrade modified
> > > conffiles.
> >
> > Yes, but only if the local one has been modified but the former one
> > was the conffile from the package, so these questions are reasonable
> > unless dpkg gets a flag like '--force-overwrite-conffiles' or similar.
>
> I would prefer a --force-keep-conffiles for this matter. This is the

Err, you're having a good idea, when implementing this we need to implement
both directions.  Please bring it up on debian-dpkg and/or file a whishlist
bug so it doesn't get forgotton.

But: The current setting should be default, however I guess I would appreciate
being able to switch its behaviour in one of the two other directions.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Debian GNU/Linux                           The choice of a GNU generation.