Re: Hello, glad to meet ya.

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 04:49:27PM -0800, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> > Vincent & all -
> > 	I think this really deserves another try.
> > 	I think we have more than just one person willing to move this
> > effort forward now. So maybe we should have a discussion about how things
> > should be done for potato?
>
> Since no one else seems to be in the mood to say anything either...
>
> What sort of things do we want to start aiming for? Certainly we want to
> keep killing release-critical bugs, but do we also want to try minimising
> normal/wishlist bugs in, say, base or important packages?

I guess it also is an important thing to achieve. It's mostly what I've
been trying to do with my NMUs recently: minimize the 'buggosity' of the
important packages (cf: lilo NMU), as well as trying to find fixes for
bugs which have been outstanding for way to long ( > 3 years).
Except dpkg & X11, no package have outstanding bug older than 3 years now.
I about to continue with bugs older than 2 years now.

If other people are interesting helping with this, the process is easy:

1/ spot a package with a lot of bugs or very old outstanding bugs and see
how many can be fixed.
2/ contact its maintainer to ask if he's still actively maintaining the
package and if it's okay to make a NMU.
3/ really fix the package and upload it. ;)

Recently, I've sent patches/nudged the maintainers of lpr, xless & tkman,
and should soon upload fixed versions of wu-ftpd and fvwm2.

If other people start doing the same, I suggest we announce here the
packages we're working on in order to avoid duplicated work.

> Should we try doing an audit of some of the distribution for security-
> related bugs in the same was the OpenBSD people have?

Although, I think it's definatly a good thing to have, I'd not put this at
high priority:
1/ There already is an ongoing Linux auditing project (distribution
neutral). Joining it would probably be better and reduce the duplicated
work.
2/ Before starting finding new bugs, we may as well fixing the known ones
first. ;)

> Should we start going through the lintian bugs, and start harassing (err,
> sending patches to) the maintainers of some of the packages with easily
> fixed lintian bugs?

Why bother why lintian bugs now? there already are more than 6000
outstanding bugs in the BTS which are just waiting to be fixed ;)

> Should we work on fixing up the perennial problem of missing manpages,
> and removing all the links to undocumented(7)?

Yes, definatly.

> I still think it'd be good to have a -qa homepage somewhere to keep track
> of where we're up to on things like this, too.

At the very least, use this list to follow the ongoing work; but having a
summary on a www page somewhere may help too.

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org    Logiciels du soleil: -