Re: new maintainer *must* reopen

[ CC to the QA committee for information ]

Le Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Michael Stone écrivait:
> I'm interested in contributing to this effort--let me know what I can do
> to help.

Different tasks have to be done :

First task : finding bad maintainers
------------------------------------

The idea is simple. You must look for packages badly maintained. You can
use different informations at your choice but these statistics are helpful
in general :
http://master.debian.org/~hertzog/qa/
So you contact maintainers and you ask them :
- their plan for correcting the Release Critical Bugs
- if they'd like to have some help (from the QA team) for correcting
  (one of) their packages
- to orphan their packages if they can't afford to do what's needed

Of course some maintainers won't give you an answer, you will have to
try a second time (one or 2 week after the first mail) and after 3 or 4
weeks after the initial mail you will have to give the names of those
people to the complete QA committe (you will be part of it) and we'll take
a decision (doing a NMU and/or orphaning the package).

Second task : checking new RC bugs
----------------------------------

When a release critical bug is getting older than 2 weeks you have to
contact the maintainer about what he plans to do. Without answer in one
week, the committe can take a decison to do a NMU in order to correct
the bug. The goal is to keep the RCB number as low as possible in order
to have a freeze as short as possible and so on.

Both jobs have to be done on a regular basis, if you *really* will do one
of them you're welcome in the QA committee.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/
<pub> CD Debian : http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/debian/#cd </pub>