Re: [RFR] templates://isdnutils/{ipppd.templates,isdnlog.templates,isdnutils-b ase.templates,isdnvboxserver.templates}

Justin B Rye wrote:
> Okay, I'll keep my hands off the package descriptions too.

Sorry, I got bored and reviewed it anyway.  Here's a separate diff
for the control file, as an alternative to just sending it in as a
wishlist bug report.

> --- isdnutils-3.9.20060704.pristine/debian/control	2009-09-19 12:52:20.000000000 +0100
> +++ isdnutils-3.9.20060704/debian/control	2009-09-20 23:39:20.000000000 +0100
>  Package: isdnutils
[...]
>  Conflicts: ipppd (<<1:3.1pre1b-23)

(That's a conflicts against Potato, so rather stale, but never mind)

Standardising on "$SUITE - $COMPONENT".

> - Note that for an external ISDN adapter, you do NOT need this package or any of
> - the related ones. This is only for use with an internal ISDN adapter.
> - Choosing this package will select the most frequently used components.
> + This package depends on the most frequently used components for an
> + ISDN system using an internal adapter; they are not required for an
> + external adapter.

"Note that" is redundant, especially as a start.  Instead start by
saying what the package _is_ good for.

>   .
> - The current version of isdnutils is split up into component packages, to make
> - it easier to fine-tune what is installed; hardly anyone needs everything.
> - However, it's not possible to automatically select what is needed
> - This is a dependency package to ease installation, and choosing this selects
> - the most important new packages. After installation, this package can be
> - safely removed.
> + The isdnutils suite is split up into component packages, to make it
> + easier to fine-tune what is installed; hardly anyone needs everything.
> + However, it's not possible to select what is needed automatically. This
> + dependency package just ensures the most important components are
> + installed, and can be safely removed again once that is done.

Don't expect users to think in terms of source-package names, and
don't talk as if this was rapidly-evolving software.  d-l-e regulars
may be interested to see I've moved "automatically" to after its
verb...

>   .
> - The component packages selected by this are:
> -  isdnutils-base   basic set of ISDN utilities.
> -  ipppd            for networking over ISDN with syncPPP.
> -  isdnlog          for logging ISDN calls (and much more).
> -  isdnutils-xtools for X ISDN apps (currently only xisdnload and xmonisdn)
> -  isdnvboxserver   ISDN answering machine, things needed on the server system.
> -  isdnvboxclient   ISDN answering machine, client side (vbox).
> + The component packages involved are:
> +  * isdnutils-base:   the basic set of ISDN utilities;
> +  * ipppd:            for networking over ISDN with syncPPP;
> +  * isdnlog:          for logging ISDN calls (and much more);
> +  * isdnutils-xtools: graphical utilities (xisdnload and xmonisdn);
> +  * isdnvboxclient:   ISDN answering machine client;
> +  * isdnvboxserver:   ISDN answering machine server.

Just standardised and homogenised.  I'm not really convinced there's
any point listing the hard dependencies, but never mind.

>   .
> - Not selected (although dselect will suggest some) are:
> -  isdnutils-doc    for extensive documentation (basic docs are of course
> -                   included with each package).
> -  isdneurofile     file transfer over ISDN with the special eurofile protocol.
> -  capiutils        CAPI utilies.
> -  pppdcapiplugin   a plugin for the normal ppp daemon that uses CAPI to
> -                   communicate over ISDN.
> -  libcapi20-3      shared library package needed by CAPI applications (will be
> -                   selected automatically when needed).
> -  libcapi20-dev    libcapi20 development files.
> -  isdnactivecards  firmware for mostly active ISDN cards, and other related
> -                   tools.
> + It also suggests the following optional extras:
> +  * capiutils:      CAPI utilies;
> +  * isdneurofile:   for file transfer over the EUROFILE protocol;
> +  * isdnutils-doc:  additional documentation;
> +  * pppdcapiplugin: a CAPI plugin for the normal PPP daemon.

That's homgenised, sorted, and updated; most importantly I've taken
out the claims that isdnutils suggests isdnactivecards and so on.

>  Package: isdnutils-base
[...]

Standardising on "$SUITE - $COMPONENT".

> - These utilities are the basic set of ISDN utilities that you need when you
> - have an ISDN card installed. For complete functionality comparable to the
> - old isdnutils package, you also need the following packages:
> - .
> -  ipppd            for networking over ISDN with syncPPP
> -  isdnlog          for logging ISDN calls (and much more)
> -  isdnutils-xtools for X ISDN apps (currently only xisdnload and xmonisdn)
> -  isdnutils-doc    for extensive documentation (basic docs are of course
> -                   included with each package)
> -  isdnvboxserver   ISDN answering machine, things needed on a server system
> -  isdnvboxclient   ISDN answering machine, client side (vbox)
> + This package provides the basic set of ISDN utilities needed to make use
> + of an ISDN card. For more complete functionality, install the isdnutils
> + dependency package.

Listing them all again here is quite pointless.

>  Package: isdnutils-xtools
>  Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What's going on here?  (Likewise in later packages.)

[...]

Standardising on "$SUITE - $COMPONENT".

> - These are the graphical utilities for ISDN, xmonisdn and xisdnload.
> - They provide, each in their own way, a visual indication of the status of
> - the ISDN lines, so that it is directly obvious when there is a connection,
> - for example.
> + This package provides xmonisdn and xisdnload, which are graphical tools
> + for ISDN. Each in its own way gives a visual indication of the status of
> + the ISDN lines, so that (for example) it is obvious when there is a
> + connection.

Just slightly rephrased.

>   .
> - This has been separated out of the main isdnutils package so that if you
> - don't run X but do need ISDN, you don't have to include the X libraries
> - unnecessarily.
> + They have been split out into a separate package to allow the others
> + in the suite to avoid dependencies on the X Window System.

Give X its full name and cut down on second-person pronouns.

>  Package: ipppd
[...]

Standardising on "$SUITE - $COMPONENT", and leaving out some
technical details (I'm not sure they're still relevant for Linux
2.6).

> - If you want to connect to the internet over ISDN with an internal ISDN card,
> - you will need this.
> - .
> - Also needed for allowing dialins from Windows PCs over ISDN.
> + This package provides the specially modified version of the Point to
> + Point Protocol daemon needed to connect to the Internet through an
> + internal ISDN card. It also supports dial-in connections from Windows
> + clients.

Eliminating some second person pronouns - the only time I've ever
installed ISDN packages it wasn't because I wanted to, it was
because I was doing my job!

>  Package: isdnlog
[...]

An easy one.

> - isdnlog logs all ISDN connections, and can calculate the cost of calls. If
> - sufficient data is available, it can even recommend which alternate carrier
> - would have been cheaper for a given call. For countries where calls are charged
> - per discrete unit, it can disconnect the line just before the next unit starts.
> + This package provides a set of utilities that can log ISDN connections and
> + calculate the cost of calls. If sufficient data is available, it can even
> + recommend which alternate carrier would have been cheaper for a given call.
> + For countries where calls are charged per discrete unit, it can disconnect
> + the line just before the next unit starts.

isdnlog.deb != /usr/sbin/isdnlog; start by putting it in context.

>  Package: isdnlog-data
[...]
> - All data related to call pricing, area codes, etc. in various countries.
> - Really only useful when used with isdnlog.
> + This package provides data related to call pricing, area codes, etcetera,
> + in various countries, and is only useful with isdnlog.

Into sentences.

>  Package: isdnutils-doc
[...]
> - This includes the FAQ and other miscellaneous documentation.
> - German-language docs also included.
> + This package includes the FAQ and other miscellaneous documentation
> + for the ISDN utilities suite, in English and German.

The extensiveness of the isdn4linux docs is neatly counterbalanced
by their outdatedness.

>  Package: isdnvbox
[...]

Standardised to go with its dependents.

>   Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
>   remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
>   .

Keeping a bit entirely unmodified for once.

> - This package is a helper to install both the client (with which you listen to
> - the messages) and the server (with which the messages are recorded) parts of
> - the software.
> + This package depends for convenience on both the vbox server (with which
> + the messages are recorded) and the client (with which you listen to them).

Well, for a start it isn't a software.

>  Package: isdnvboxclient
[...]
>   Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
>   remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
>   .
> - This is the client part of the software, with which you can listen to the
> - messages. Those messages are recorded on a system with the server part of
> - the software (isdnvboxserver); that system may be elsewhere, as long as
> - it can be connected to via a network.
> + This package provides the vbox client, with which you can listen to the
> + messages recorded by a vbox server (either running on the same machine or
> + accessible over the network).

Part of the point of this rewrite is that the originals don't quite
mention vbox.

>  Package: isdnvboxserver
[...]
>   Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
>   remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
>   .
> - This is the server part of the software. This is what needs to be installed
> - on the system with the ISDN card. To actually listen to the recorded messages
> + This package provides the vbox server, which must be installed on the
> + system with the ISDN card. To actually listen to the recorded messages
>   you need the client package (isdnvboxclient) somewhere, not necessarily on
>   the same system.

This one doesn't need much reshuffling.

>  Package: capiutils
[...]
>   Some ISDN cards (notably the AVM active cards, and the AVM passive cards
>   when using the proprietary drivers) are accessed via the CAPI interface.
>   The package contains utilities to initialize and get information about
>   these cards.
> - .
> - See /usr/share/doc/capiutils/* for some (rudimentary) info.

I don't understand CAPI enough to fiddle with this, partly because
there's absolutely no information in /usr/share/doc/capiutils.

>  Package: libcapi20-3
[...]
>   If you have an ISDN card with which CAPI works, you may be able to use
> - applications that use CAPI, e.g. a fax system. At this point, AVM cards can
> + CAPI-capable applications such as fax systems. At this point, AVM cards can
>   work with CAPI, as well as some active cards. For the AVM passive cards you
>   need to visit the www.AVM.de website.
>   .
> - If you need this package, it will be installed automatically via dependencies,
> - no need to select it yourself.
> + This package will be installed automatically if needed.

Englishing "e.g." and trimming some second-person waffle.

>  Package: libcapi20-dev
[...]
>   If you have an ISDN card with which CAPI works, you may be able to use
> - applications that use CAPI, e.g. a fax system. At this point, AVM cards can
> + CAPI-capable applications such as fax systems. At this point, AVM cards can
>   work with CAPI, as well as some active cards. For the AVM passive cards you
>   need to visit the www.AVM.de website.
>   .
> - If you need this package, it will be installed automatically via dependencies,
> - no need to select it yourself.
> + This package provides files needed for development of CAPI-aware software.

Ditto, and fixing the lie in the last paragraph.

>  Package: pppdcapiplugin
[...]

Standardising.

> - Some ISDN cards (notably the AVM passive cards, when a module from the AVM
> - website is loaded) can be used by CAPI utilities.
> - This is a plugin for the regular PPP daemon to use CAPI on such cards.
> - .
> - See /usr/share/doc/pppdcapiplugin/* for some (rudimentary) info.
> + Some ISDN cards can be used by CAPI utilities - for instance the AVM
> + passive cards, when a module from the AVM website is loaded.
> + .
> + This package provides a plug-in for the regular PPP daemon to use CAPI
> + on such cards.

Again, I'm not sure I understand this, partly because there's
nothing worth pointing at in /usr/share/doc/pppdcapiplugin (users
are better off going straight to Google).  Is it talking about
proprietary firmware blobs?

>  Package: isdnactivecards
[...]

Standardising.

> - If you have an active ISDN card, you will need things like firmware and the
> - means to load that firmware into that card. The utilities are contained in
> - this package.
> - .
> - See /usr/share/doc/isdnactivecards/* for more information.
> + This package provides firmware and firmware-loading utilities for active
> + ISDN cards (the Eicon, Eicon Diva, ICN, IBM Active 2000, or PCBIT-D cards).

More firmware blobs?  The documentation pointer in this case is
pointing at a README in (legacy-encoded) Portuguese.  I got the
details here from man pages.

>  Package: isdneurofile
[...]

No two sources agree whether it's eurofile, Eurofile, EuroFile,
EUROfile, or EUROFILE, but I'll follow the eftp man page.

> - If you want to send / receive files over an ISDN line with the eurofile
> - system, you need this package. Not used much outside of Germany I
> - believe (and not much there either).
> + This package provides tools for sending/receiving files over an ISDN
> + connection via the EUROFILE protocol, which is not used much outside of
> + Germany (or even inside it).

Second person is one thing; first person singular is right out.
Source: isdnutils
Section: utils
Maintainer: Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
Uploaders: Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>
Standards-Version: 3.7.3
Build-Depends: debhelper (>=5), bzip2, libncurses5-dev | libncurses-dev, xutils-dev | imake, tcl8.3-dev, linuxdoc-tools (>=0.9.20), groff, libtool, libxaw7-dev, libreadline5-dev | libreadline-dev, libpcap0.8-dev, autotools-dev, automake1.4, automake1.7, automake1.9, autoconf2.13, autoconf, libssl-dev, psutils, lsb-release, po-debconf

Package: isdnutils
[...]

Section: x11
Depends: isdnutils-base (= ${binary:Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 This package provides xmonisdn and xisdnload, which are graphical tools
 for ISDN. Each in its own way gives a visual indication of the status of
 the ISDN lines, so that (for example) it is obvious when there is a
 connection.
 .
 They have been split out into a separate package to allow the others
 in the suite to avoid dependencies on the X Window System.

Package: ipppd
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Section: net
Depends: isdnutils-base (= ${binary:Version}), debconf (>=1.2.9) | debconf-2.0, ppp, ${shlibs:Depends}, udev | makedev
Suggests: pdnsd
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 This package provides the specially modified version of the Point to
 Point Protocol daemon needed to connect to the Internet through an
 internal ISDN card. It also supports dial-in connections from Windows
 clients.

Package: isdnlog
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Depends: isdnutils-base (= ${binary:Version}), isdnlog-data (>= ${binary:Version}), debconf (>=1.2.9) | debconf-2.0, ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 This package provides a set of utilities that can log ISDN connections and
 calculate the cost of calls. If sufficient data is available, it can even
 recommend which alternate carrier would have been cheaper for a given call.
 For countries where calls are charged per discrete unit, it can disconnect
 the line just before the next unit starts.

Package: isdnlog-data
Architecture: all
Depends: ${misc:Depends}
Recommends: isdnlog (>= ${source:Version})
 This package provides data related to call pricing, area codes, etcetera,
 in various countries, and is only useful with isdnlog.

Package: isdnutils-doc
Architecture: all
Section: doc
Depends: ${misc:Depends}
Conflicts: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-1)
Suggests: isdnutils-base (= ${source:Version})
 This package includes the FAQ and other miscellaneous documentation
 for the ISDN utilities suite, in English and German.

Package: isdnvbox
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Conflicts: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-1)
Depends: isdnvboxclient, isdnvboxserver, ${misc:Depends}
Recommends: sox
 Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
 remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
 .
 This package depends for convenience on both the vbox server (with which
 the messages are recorded) and the client (with which you listen to them).

Package: isdnvboxclient
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Conflicts: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-1), isdnvbox (<<1:3.1pre1b-2)
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, sox | nas-bin | alsa-utils, ${misc:Depends}
Suggests: isdnvboxserver
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
 remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
 .
 This package provides the vbox client, with which you can listen to the
 messages recorded by a vbox server (either running on the same machine or
 accessible over the network).

Package: isdnvboxserver
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Conflicts: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-1),isdnvbox (<<1:3.1pre1b-2)
Depends: isdnutils-base (= ${binary:Version}), debconf (>=1.2.9) | debconf-2.0, ${shlibs:Depends}, openbsd-inetd | inet-superserver, udev | makedev, ${misc:Depends}
Suggests: isdnvboxclient
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 Let your Debian system be your answering machine! Messages can be accessed
 remotely, automatically emailed, etc.
 .
 This package provides the vbox server, which must be installed on the
 system with the ISDN card. To actually listen to the recorded messages
 you need the client package (isdnvboxclient) somewhere, not necessarily on
 the same system.

Package: capiutils
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Depends: libcapi20-3 (= ${binary:Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}, lsb-base (>= 1.3-9ubuntu3), udev | makedev, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnactivecards (<< 1:3.6.2004-12-19-1)
Section: net
 Some ISDN cards (notably the AVM active cards, and the AVM passive cards
 when using the proprietary drivers) are accessed via the CAPI interface.
 The package contains utilities to initialize and get information about
 these cards.

Package: libcapi20-3
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Section: libs
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0), libcapi20, libcapi20-2
Conflicts: libcapi20, libcapi20-2
 If you have an ISDN card with which CAPI works, you may be able to use
 CAPI-capable applications such as fax systems. At this point, AVM cards can
 work with CAPI, as well as some active cards. For the AVM passive cards you
 need to visit the www.AVM.de website.
 .
 This package will be installed automatically if needed.

Package: libcapi20-dev
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Section: libdevel
Depends: libcapi20-3 (= ${binary:Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0), libcapi20, libcapi20-2
Conflicts: libcapi20, libcapi20-2
 If you have an ISDN card with which CAPI works, you may be able to use
 CAPI-capable applications such as fax systems. At this point, AVM cards can
 work with CAPI, as well as some active cards. For the AVM passive cards you
 need to visit the www.AVM.de website.
 .
 This package provides files needed for development of CAPI-aware software.

Package: pppdcapiplugin
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Depends: ppp (>=2.3.11), libcapi20-3 (= ${binary:Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Section: net
 Some ISDN cards can be used by CAPI utilities - for instance the AVM
 passive cards, when a module from the AVM website is loaded.
 .
 This package provides a plug-in for the regular PPP daemon to use CAPI
 on such cards.

Package: isdnactivecards
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Depends: isdnutils-base (= ${binary:Version}), capiutils (>= ${binary:Version}), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
Replaces: isdnutils (<<1:3.1pre1b-0)
 This package provides firmware and firmware-loading utilities for active
 ISDN cards (the Eicon, Eicon Diva, ICN, IBM Active 2000, or PCBIT-D cards).

Package: isdneurofile
Architecture: alpha amd64 arm armeb armel armeb armel hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 sparc s390
Section: comm