Re: question about unmaintained packages

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:09:50PM +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to this list so please bear with me, as I suppose this
> question has already been asked (possibly many times) :
>
> what happens when a package maintainer does not seem to maintain
> his/her packages anymore ?

This is eventually noted by the MIA effort of QA, possibly helped by
hints from users/other developers/whoever.

> Do the packages remain in a possibly broken state for an undefined
> amount of time ?

Yes.

> Are they re-assigned to another DD ?

Ultimately, yes.

> Is there any automated process that checks how long a bug has been open
> in the BTS ? I've come across bugs that are almost four years old ..

Not for bugs in particular, but every DD can fix a bug when s/he really
wants by NMU'ing the package in question with a fix. If no DD has done
so far, none of them cares enough to spend the time on it, or either are
simply not aware. Debian is and remains an organisation of volunteers.

> I have lately submitted a bug report, sent an e-mail to the package
> maintainer, and am ready
> to submit a patch for the bug I've spotted, but there has been no
> acknowledgment so
> far from the maintainer, so I'm at a loss what to do next ..

Ask on debian-qa or to mia@qa.debian.org about this specific package
and/or maintainer, the situation will be investigated, and action
undertaken (usually, the maintainer is asked for comments, and one acts
on the reaction or either ultimately puts up the package for adoption by
anyone interested.

So, in general, mail mia@qa.debian.org privately when you're concerned a
certain package is unmaintained, or better if possible, offer your
assistance to the maintainer and see if that works. Filing patches is
always a good way to do so.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar