Bug#167807: solution to missing icons, mime types, help, etc after updating upgrading KDE from 2.2 to 3.0.x
This is a solution in response to:
I have experienced the exact same symptoms after upgrading my KDE
installation from 2.2 to 3.0.x while upgrading my SuSE from 7.3 to 8.1.
The (very simple) solution was to delete all entries in
"/tmp/<user>-kde". That was all.
This solution is described in:
I also did two things before successfully solving my problem, but I do
not know whether they were superfluous or actually (secretly) helped, too:
1) I had hid all my ~/.kde* directories by renaming them to
".kde*.hidden" (but now I have nicer menu entries).
2) I also ran "kbuildsycoca" first as root, then as the affected user.