Re: py7zr-related python packages was updated

Hi Yokota,

yokota, on 2024-05-05:
> I was drop s390x from python-pyppmd build architecture list to pass
> testing migration.

I see you ajusted the Architecture field to include all
currently supported Debian architectures except s390x.  While
this would avoid building attempts on s390x, this is actually
not ideal, because future architectures will have to be added by
hand.  Besides, if s390x were to be supported by upstream, then
it would be necessary to actively bring back s390x architecture
to the list, assuming we notice the added support in the first
place.  If you were to want to signify the package does not
support other than little-endian architectures, then the current
recommended practice is for the source package to build depend
on the package architecture-is-little-endian, and bring
Architecture field back to the value "any".

All that being said, I don't believe declaring any form of
architecture limitation is needed, because the test failure at
build time prevents the production of packages for unsupported
architectures.  Please revert Architecture field change; you may
add the architecture-is-little-endian as build dependency if you
feel better about not trying to build on other systems, but it's
not entirely needed in my opinion.

In any case, the package would not migrate to testing, because
despite the architecture restrictions, Debian infrastructure[1]
will continue expecting s390x packages to be built; the
following migration excuses will continue to appear:

  * missing build on s390x
  * arch:s390x not built yet, autopkgtest delayed there

I opened the package removal bug #1070469 for python-pyppmd on
s390x[2].  This will resolve the problem on the infrastructure
side, but requires human intervention from the ftpmaster team,
so it may take a little time.  I used `reportbug ftp.debian.org`
to get a template email with all the metainformation needed, and
filled the blanks with our observations.

[1]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-pyppmd
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/1070469

In hope this clarifies things,
Have a nice day,  :)
--
  .''`.  Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org>
 : :' :  pgp: 8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da