Re: Request to join the Debian Python Team

On Wednesday, 3 April 2024 16:51:33 CEST Andrey Rakhmatullin wrote:

> Then putting the repo in the team namespace makes sense.

OK. I will aim to do that.

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 04:48:44PM +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
> > However, I did not presume that I could just set the Maintainer field in
> > debian/control before applying to join the team, nor did I set any
> > particular headers or metadata in the ITP for shedskin to reference the
> > team, since I thought that this might be impolite. I imagine that I would
> > change the Maintainer as noted in the team policy if the package were to
> > be adopted within the team.
>
> There is no "adopted within the team" process for packages, so you just
> put the repo there and put the team into d/control.

Right. I will do that.

I was just looking at the Wiki documentation for this and I think there might
need to be some updates and clarifications. For example, on this page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonTeam/HowToJoin

Here, it mentions the Maintainers and Uploaders fields and a more
comprehensive policy than in the Salsa-hosted policy document. I assume that
this policy is still applicable, but I wonder how it interacts with people
like me who do not have Debian Developer status and presumably cannot be an
uploader.

The above page also has references to Alioth mailing lists, which seem to be
active even though the archives contain a lot of spam. It also says this:

"If the team is in Maintainer field, remember to subscribe appropriate mailing
list or at least bts and contact keywords on this [Advanced subscription form
for the Package Tracking System] page."

I assume that this would involve me subscribing to the applications list or to
notifications from the PTS, but the grammar in the above sentence is ambiguous
and I don't have the background knowledge to successfully disambiguate it. It
could also mean subscribing the team to the PTS for the package.

Sorry if this is asking questions with obvious answers!

Paul