Re: morph's abandoned packages (list)

On 3/29/24 21:18, Timo Röhling wrote:
Hi Thomas,

* Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> [2024-03-17 23:09]:
Anyone is welcome to join, it's just that I'm using git tag workflow, so it doesn't fit in the DPT, but that's the only thing.
I am not familiar with that workflow and could not find any documentation. Can you give me a quick overview what I should do differently from the "regular" DPT workflow?

Cheers
Timo

I'm not using pristine-tar, or gbp import-orig, and don't use upstream tarballs, but git only. Everything is done in a single (debian) branch. The only thing that needs to be done, is to push upstream tags to the Debian repository. The git history contains all upstream commits then, because the workflow is to merge upstream tag.

To upgrade to a newer upstream tag, simply do:

./debian/rules fetch-upstream-remote
git merge -X theirs <TAG>
dch --newversion <TAG> -m "New upstream release."

Then simply generate the upstream tarball from the git tag:
./debian/rules gen-orig-xz

The fetch-upstream-remote and gen-orig-xz are from the openstack-pkg-tools package, though I heard others in Debian have standardized on something else. But who cares what wrapper one is using, really. The point is to fetch upstream tags, merge them, and use "git archive" to generate an orig tarball before building and uploading to Debian.

If the upstream release was already uploaded to Debian, best is to download it instead of generating it, as (like with pristine-tar) regenerating it may (in some cases) lead to a different checksum.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)