Re: cython 3.x (for Python 3.12)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 08:09:31AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> [...]
> You could package a non-conflicting cython-legacy, however that would
> require more changes, also how to build it.

Hi Matthias,

Unfortunately, at least some of cython3-legacy doesn't currently work
with Python 3.12, and is the primary cause of (at least) #1056531.
cython3 provides the pyximport module, and that uses the imp module
which has been removed from Python 3.12.

Two possible ways forward on this particular bug:

- Disable all of the cython tests for this package for the time being,
  until cython 3.x migrates to testing - this is simple and effective.

- Patch cython3-legacy to use importlib rather than imp.  This is
  probably a good thing to do anyway.  (It may also be good to do this
  with cython3 version 0.x currently in testing/unstable until cython
  3.x is able to be uploaded to unstable.)  Then have my package's
  autopkgtest depend on cython3-legacy (unless cython3 0.x is also
  patched).

Thoughts?

   Julian