Re: how to properly split up into python3-foo and foo-util package?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 23:16:03 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> How does one know (I guess it must be written somewhere and I just
> missed it - or was to lazy to read the relevant section O:-) ) which
> one the "current directory" is in which stage of the build?
> Or is it simply always ./debian/?

All the targets in debian/rules are invoked from the top-level source
directory, so relative paths like ./debian/rules will exist.

> > I would personally be inclined
> > to use something like
> >
> >     usr/lib/python3*/dist-packages/foo
> >     usr/lib/python3*/dist-packages/Foo-*.egg-info
>
> This I don't however understand fully. I thought at least the dist-
> packages/ intermediate dir would come from pybuild?
>
> Or is your aim rather at the foo and Foo-*.egg-info? Well for those I
> had hoped pybuild would do all possibly necessary checks.

I meant the part inside dist-packages. If version 1.0 had the paths I
quoted above, but my upstream changes the package so that in version 1.5,
it now installs:

    usr/lib/python3*/dist-packages/foo
    usr/lib/python3*/dist-packages/bar
    usr/lib/python3*/dist-packages/Foobar-*.egg-info

then those are changes which affect compatibility with other software that
depends on this library, and I will need to react to them appropriately in
the packaging (and I can update the .install file at the same time).

    smcv