Re: how to properly split up into python3-foo and foo-util package?

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 10:53:58PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > >    a) Why does it work to use just usr/... and not
> > debian/tmp/usr/... ?
> > >       Actually, both seems to work, which confuses me even more ^^
> > You can check the search logic in dh_install(1).
>
> Well I have read that but it merely says it uses the current dir (which
> I didn't know how it's determined) and falls back to debian/tmp (with
> the right debhelper compat lvl)
Doesn't this answer "Why does it work to use just usr/... and not
debian/tmp/usr/... ?"?
And the current dir when building a package is the source root.

> > >    b) What - if any - is the proper way here? Like I did, with one
> > >       argument?
> > Yes, because the files are already installed into correct
> > destinations.
>
> How do you mean that? Cause when I look at the generated files, they're
> actually below debian/tmp/usr/bin and not in debian/usr/bin?
I mean their locations relative to debian/tmp are correct and the only
remaining thing is moving them, keeping their relative paths, into
respective debian/pkgname dirs, which is precisely what the second mode of
dh_install(1) is for.
And debian/usr/bin is a wrong path that is not used at any build step.

> > >       Or should one use the two arguments per line version?
> > >       Or perhaps (for the 2nd file) rather usr/lib/python* ?
> > >       Or rather the debian/tmp/usr/ path versions?
> > >       Or using something completely different than dh_install?
> > No.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why is the "rather usr/lib/python*" thingy
> considered bad practise?
I don't think it's bad practice, it will work just as well.

> > No, and the upstream source shouldn't contain debian/ anyway, as the
> > life
> > cycles of packaging and upstream sources should be separate even if
> > the
> > person doing both is the same.
>
> Well, yes... but so far this is only Debian packaging for private use.
> Not sure if the project is of enough general use to submit to Debian.
You can do anything you want for packages not aimed for inclusion into
Debian. This applies even to packaging.