Re: Cleaning up the Salsa DPT landing page

On Monday, January 17, 2022 12:59:53 PM EST Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> On 2022-01-17 12 h 31, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Monday, January 17, 2022 12:20:59 PM EST Louis-Philippe Véronneau
wrote:
> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> The merger between the DPMT and the PAPT into a single entity has been
> >> pretty successful IMO and I think it's time to cleanup the Salsa DPT
> >> landing page.
> >>
> >> Looking at https://salsa.debian.org/python-team, I would propose the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> 1. Delete the empty DPMT sub-group at
> >> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules
> >>
> >> 2. Delete the empty PAPT sub-group at
> >> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/applications
> >
> > I don't have an opinion on #3 and #4.
>
> I mostly care about #3 in #4 :P
>
> > Might it be better to leave these with a description that explains where
> > they went?  There's lots of things that refer to DPMT/PAPT and I don't
> > think all the packages have been uploaded with the correct Vcs-* data
> > yet.  It doesn't hurt to leave them there and if they explain where to
> > look instead, I think the chances of someone being confused later are
> > reduced.
>
> The following lintian tags flag packages using the old Vcs-* data:
>
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/old-papt-vcs (11 packages)
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/old-dpmt-vcs (431 packages)
>
> Those packages have been fixed in git though, as Ondřej ran a script to
> fix all of them a while ago already.
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think keeping empty dirs
> does anything to the Salsa redirects though.

I don't know, but I wasn't primarily thinking about people working internal to
Debian (who might look at lintian output).  I was more thinking about users
(both ours and downstream).  If they apt source <PKG> their debian/control
will have the obsolete Vcs-Browser information.  I think there should at least
be a tombstone there for them to understand where the team went.

I think this is much less relevant for #3 and #4 since they are more
internally focused so some expectation that people will keep up with changes
is more reasonable.

Scott K

Scott K