Re: Update packages to recent version

Hello,

thank you for your usefull hints.

Now I will start to propare the package of paperless-ng and will look, what happens.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 14.01.22 um 13:42 schrieb Thomas Goirand:
On 1/13/22 21:25, Mechtilde Stehmann wrote:
Hallo,

I intend to package paperless-ng.

Many of its dependencies are packaged in Debian but in an older version. You can see the list at https://salsa.debian.org/mechtilde/paperless-ng/-/wikis/home

Are there any hints to upload newer versions?

Kind regards

Hi,

If you're looking at the requirements.txt file from upstream to tell what version you need in Debian, this is a *very* wrong approach.

What's happening is that your upstream is using the requirements.txt to tell pip what version to fetch for paperless-ng testing. This is, in no way, some indication of what should be in your package.

For example, the requirements.txt contains:
pytz==2021.1

however, I'd be really surprised if paperless-ng wouldn't work with some other version of python3-tz (even an older one).

What's harder then, is to know what is the minimum version of each component for your application. However, running internal tests at build time may help you to know.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

--