Re: [Debian-salsa-ci] Enabling salsa-ci on all Debian Python Team repos

Hello Emanuele !

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 12:51:00PM +0200, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> Hello debian-salsa-ci and debian-python!
>
> I was wondering if it would make sense to enable CI/CD on Salsa for all
> projects owned by the Debian Python Team, or if there's any concern
> about scaling issues in terms of pipeline workers (or anything else
> really).

That would be great !

Mass-enabling CI on groups might be something that you want to
discuss with Salsa admins first. On previous occasions they pushed
back on this kind of steep adoption due to the workload increase,
but I'm not sure what's the stance right now on that matter.

> For the past few days I've been enabling CI/CD on Salsa for various
> packages owned by the DPT. I've been doing this on a case-by-case basis:
> if the package I wanted to work on (for reasons unrelated to CI) did not
> have CI/CD yet, I'd add [1] as the pipeline configuration file and carry
> on with my work.
>
> Perhaps there's an opportunity to automate and getting wider CI usage.

One of the biggest issues we had when a team adopted the pipeline was
DDOSing of the instance because of the multiple pipelines generated when
pusing the .gitlab-ci.yml file to all the projects.

If you're planning to do this, please:

- Use the API and configure the 'CI/CD configuration file' project
  field, as you mentioned in the email. This won't generate a pipeline
  when configured but only on the next push.

- If you need create the .gitlab-ci.yml file, please use the
  `ci.skip`[1] push option.

Thanks, and good luck :)

Iñaki

1_ https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/push_options.html#push-options-for-gitlab-cicd