Re: Installation paths

Hi Alec!

On Fri, Jun 03, 2022 at 12:58:44PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> This issue was started on debian-devel. However, this list is perhaps a
> better choice (?)
>
> I try handle a package which installs a partly compiled,
> architecture-dependent python module. That is, besides some normal python
> files it also contains a compiled, architecture-dependent so-file which is
> imported by the python files.
>
> Until now  this has been installed in
> /usr/lib/triplet/python3.10/site-packages. This scheme has basically worked
> fine.

The correct installation location depends on whether it's a private or public
module.

If it's a private module of your application (not intended to be used by
other apps), then you should use a private path like described in our Python
Policy:

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/#programs-shipping-private-modules

Something like /usr/lib/lirc or /usr/lib/<triplet>/lirc should work. But
then you should also modify the application itself to add that location to
sys.path.

If it's a public module that may be used by other applications, then you
should install to /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (without the <triplet> part).

You can install to /usr/lib/python3.10/dist-packages if you want, then
dh_python3 will move from python3.10 to python3.

--
Dmitry Shachnev