Installation paths

Dear list,

This issue was started on debian-devel. However, this list is perhaps a better choice (?)

I try handle a package which installs a partly compiled, architecture-dependent python module. That is, besides some normal python files it also contains a compiled, architecture-dependent so-file which is imported by the python files.

Until now this has been installed in /usr/lib/triplet/python3.10/site-packages. This scheme has basically worked fine.

However, here is an Ubuntu bug [1] where a user runs into problems because this installation path is not in sys.path by default.

I have been trying to look in the python policy docs, but cannot find the exact way to install code like this.

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers!
--alec

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1843988