Re: Messed up a salsa commit - Reporting the fix

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 01:26:26PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> [...]
> > So the state of the salsa repository was (in an ideal world where I'd
> > pulled upstream):
> > - master included the upstream/5.3.0 commit, tagged as upstream/5.3.0,
> >   along with further commits
> > - upstream was at upstream/5.2.2
> > - pristine-tar contained data up to upstream/5.2.2
> >
> > To fix the problem, I did:
> >
> > $ git checkout upstream
> > $ git reset --hard upstream/5.3.0
>
> FWIW Here I miss a `git commit -a`

Actually there is no git commit here, surprisingly.  When running
`gbp import-orig`, if I understand correctly, it checks out the
previous upstream in the master branch, then unpacks the new upstream
and commits it, tagging it as "upstream/..." - this commit has a
single parent: the previous upstream commit.  Then it merges the
debian/ directory of the previous commit in the master branch with the
new upstream.  The "upstream" branch contains just the upstream
commits; "upstream" is just a pointer to the most recent upstream
commit, so the `git reset` command here moves the pointer to the
correct place.  There are no uncommitted files.

> Thanks for reporting, thanks for sharing what was learnt.

:-)

> > I hope I don't make this mistake again!
>
> No worries, there will be other mistakes  and that is good.
> Know that the only way to avoid mistakes is doing nothing.

That is indeed true!

Best wishes,

   Julian