Re: python-django-js-asset_1.2.2-3_source.changes REJECTED

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 11:14:44AM -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > > That's because gbp does not use pristine-tar by default, and
> > > debian/gbp.conf was missing `pristine-tar=True`. Just pushed a commit to
> > > fix that.
> >
> > I dont think this is the right approach: the default options to work
> > on DPT packages should be in gbp default config file (or in another,
> > global, config file), and not live in each and every package
> > debian/gbp.conf file; it is already inconsistently maintained with
> > several packages having uncommon settings that will take precedence
> > over the default ones.
>
> I agree with you in theory; my global gbp.cons enables pristine-tar.
>
> However, having it duplicated in every package means we as a team work
> consistently regardless of people's global configuration,

not at all, right now we dont have a *consistent* debian/gbp.conf in
each package, everyone writes their own and it's currently a mess.

what when we decide to add a new option, or change the value of an
existing one? DPT currently has ~2500 packages: how do you maintain
consistency in all of them?

> and that's one
> less detail people need to get just right to be able to contribute
> effectively.
>
> Also, one's global configuration might not apply to all the packages
> they contribute to; it's easier for everyone if gbp just does the
> right thing based on per-package configuration than expecting people to
> remember to switch their defaults, or to pass options explicitly.

please refer to
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2021/09/msg00065.html for how i
see this being implemented.

--