feedparser: New packaging

Dear list members,
dear Mr. Millon,

I am interested in packaging “feedparser” (https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/feedparser) for Debian. I addressed Mr. Millon directly because he is named as "uploader" for that package. The "maintainer" is the "Debian Python Team". So is this list the right place to contact that team?

The stable package (6 years old) is far behind upstream. I am motivated because a) my own work depends on feedparser and b) I want to learn and will invest more resources in packaging other packages (e.g. "backintime"). Therefore, feedparser would be my learning start. I know the maintainer and packaging guides. Of course, I need to dive deeper into them but beside the technical issues, I have an idea about the "social system" behind it.

First, I want to be sure not stealing work from someone. Is there an active maintainer on the Debian side for the package "feedparser"?

Second, I am aware that I need an "uploader" because I do not have (and do not want to) have write access to the repository. However, this is a far away problem because the package itself needs to get done first. ;)

Third (and most important), I need someone like a mentor. Whom can I ask when I have background questions that are not mentioned in the wiki or if I have technical problems? I need someone take my hand and someone to kick my butt when I need it. ;)

I am sure it is helpful to introduce myself to the community. Which place would be the best for it? The Debian Python Mailinglist or anywhere else? Or a link to a Debian Wiki Entry?

Best regards,
Christian Buhtz