Re: dh_python or pybuild

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 12:23:31PM +0000, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> I am not sure if I misunderstand something or if the documentation is
> inconsistent.
>
> The PythonPolicy
> https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
> tells me that dh_python should be the preferred tool for packaging
> (https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/#versions)
You indeed should use dh_python3, this is normally done by passing "--with
python3" to dh(1).

> But the LibraryStyleGuide
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide
> tells me it is pybuild
> (https://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide#Overview).
pybuild is a build system, it's used to make actual setup.py calls. You
indeed should use it, this is normally done by passing
"--buildsystem=pybuild" to dh(1).
That page even says "What's important to note here is that both of the
dh_python2 and dh_python3 helpers are being invoked, and also that the
build system that dh will use is pybuild." when showing the correct dh(1)
line.

> And the DPT policy
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/-/blob/master/policy.rst
> tells me something about git-buildpackage and gbp.
gbp is not Python-specific and, strictly speaking, is not a part of Debian
packaging, but a tool to store Debian source paclages in git.

--
WBR, wRAR