Re: Challenges packaging Python for a Linux distro - at Python Language Summit

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> All the horrors that you are painting after this paragraph, are due to
> the fact that you aren't doing "apt-get dist-upgrade". I'm having a hard
> time understanding why you're both:
> - not doing "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> - complaining that it's breaking your system
>
> Could you care to explain? This makes absolutely no sense.

A rolling type update might be convenient, but it is not supported by
Debian, and has not been supported by Debian in sometime. There are
complexities in such an arrangement, and it is difficult to test such
arrangements will work as expected. Such an arrangement is not
guaranteed or tested to work.

In short, if you want to upgrade to Debian version n, you really should
be running entirely Debian n-1 before you start the upgrade. This is
important. And you probably should upgrade everything in one go. As this
is the only tested upgrade procedure.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>