Re: Challenges packaging Python for a Linux distro - at Python Language Summit

On 5/16/21 1:52 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> * One 3.x version at a time. Doesn't line up with cpython's support terms.
>
> folks, deep breath here: this is much more important than the one line
> summary suggests.
>
> for some background: i have been using debian since 1996 and python for
> 20+ years, dating back to python 2.0.
>
> due to the massive amount of accumulated software (several million
> development source code files) i run a rolling debian/testing system,
> *never* do an "apt-get dist-upgrade", *always* simply perform an on-demand
> install of a given package and let apt sort itself out even to the
> point often of
> having some innocuous package end up pulling in a new libc6-dev and
> binutils.

All the horrors that you are painting after this paragraph, are due to
the fact that you aren't doing "apt-get dist-upgrade". I'm having a hard
time understanding why you're both:
- not doing "apt-get dist-upgrade"
- complaining that it's breaking your system

Could you care to explain? This makes absolutely no sense.

By the way, since you're never doing "apt-get dist-upgrade", it means
your system is full of security issues that aren't getting fixed.
Hopefully, the computer system(s) you're talking about isn't connected
to internet, right?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)