Re: Need a Python 3.8 virtual environment

Hi Steven (2021.03.03_03:17:36_+0000)
> steve@riemann:/tmp$ python3.8 -m venv blah38
> The virtual environment was not created successfully because ensurepip is not
> available.  On Debian/Ubuntu systems, you need to install the python3-venv
> package using the following command.
>
>     apt-get install python3-venv
>
> You may need to use sudo with that command.  After installing the python3-venv
> package, recreate your virtual environment.
>
> Failing command: ['/tmp/blah38/bin/python3.8', '-Im', 'ensurepip', '--
> upgrade', '--default-pip']
>

> Note that I do have 'python3-venv' installed, but it is the 3.9 version:
> ii  python3-venv                                  3.9.1-1
> amd64        pyvenv-3 binary for python3 (default python3 version)
>

> Is there something I've missed?

You need python3.8-venv. But even then you may run into a
missing/incompatible distutils (#979819):
https://bugs.debian.org/979819

You can see if you have, by running the failing ensurepip command by
hand.

Hopefully we'll make that situation better soon...

BTW: There's a deadsnakes-like archive for Debian:
https://people.debian.org/~paravoid/python-all/

SR

--
Stefano Rivera