Re: upstream python concerns, python3-full package for bullseye

Hi Thomas (2021.02.12_08:10:51_+0000)
> > From your arguments above, it doesn't sound like the python3-full solves
> > a problem you experience. So, I'm not sure why you'd be using it.
>
> I don't think I would. And to me, Python is already "full"(y supported)
> without these. Though at least, adding "dev" in its name shows it's not
> for our users.

Yeah, I can see the argument for calling this python3-full-dev.

On the flip side, in debian packaging, -dev implies C headers, and this
is more than that.

I think this would also be dealt with in the package description, I'd
imagine something like:

 Python, the high-level, interactive object oriented language,
 includes an extensive class library with lots of goodies for
 network programming, system administration, sounds and graphics.
 .
 This package is a dependency package, which depends on the full
 standard library of Python for Python developers. Including modules
 used only at build-time, such as venv and distutils, and modules with
 complex dependencies, such as tk and IDLE.
 .
 This package depends on Debian's default python 3 version's full
 standard library (currently v3.9).

BTW, I noticed some other vague descriptions while I was writing this
example description. Fixed:
https://salsa.debian.org/cpython-team/python3-defaults/-/commit/d1430d009688b9affcfa3b95ffcba4dcdcaf33ff

SR

--