Re: How to watch pypi.org

On 10/30/20 3:18 PM, Fioddor Superconcentrado wrote:
> As I said I'm very new to this and all (python) packages I'm using
> lately use the usual python tools (pipy, setup.py, etc) and my first
> approach has been to stick as close as possible to the upstream
> procedures. But I might very likely be taking a wrong decision. What are
> the reasons to go for git instead of pypi? I see that it is 'more
> upstream' but it seems that everyone else is pointing to pypi as a
> distro-agnostic solution.

Pypi is often thought as a Python module source repository. It is *NOT*.
It is a repository for binaries to be consumed by pip. Therefore, the
tarballs may omit some artifacts, and add some more. For example, it's
preferable that the sources do not include the egg-info folder, or
pre-generated documentation. These must be built from source.

On 10/31/20 3:07 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I have to agree, though in the upstream projects with which I'm
> involved, those generated files are basically a lossy re-encoding of
> metadata from the Git repositories themselves: AUTHORS file
> generated from committer headers, ChangeLog files from commit
> subjects, version information from tag names, and so on. Some of
> this information may be referenced from copyright licenses, so it's
> important in those cases for package maintainers to generate it when
> making their source packages if not using the sdist tarballs
> published by the project.

Unfortunately, the FTP masters do not agree with you. I've been told
that the OpenStack changelog is a way too big, and it's preferable to
not have it in the binary packages. Also, there's nothing in the Apache
license that mandates having an AUTHORS list as per what PBR builds. If
we are to care that much in OpenStack, then the license must be changed.

In Debian, quite the opposite, and like it or not (I personally don't
really feel the policy is right, but that's how it is), what Debian
cares is what's in the source code marked with "copyright (c) yeah,
copyright-holder", and this must already be in debian/copyright.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)