Re: The python command in Debian

On 7/9/20 9:31 PM, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> * keep "python" command pointing to python2.7 if I'm upgrading
> buster->bullseye with python2.7 installed. We are going to keep
> python2.7 interpreter for bullseye, so don't break old "python" command
> for third-parties apps/scripts/etc. (install python-is-python2 during
> buster->bullseye upgrade)

Please do break them. They are broken because they expect an interpreter
which we don't support anymore. So they MUST break. Leaving the distro
half-upgraded with the feeling that things are continuing to work is a
horrible design.

During the upgrade to bullseye, please do remove all things Python2,
including the interpreter, unless explicitly requested by the user (if
that's possible). If a user feels like he must install Python2, it must
be a manual decision (maybe after the upgrade and using /usr/local ?).
Otherwise, there's still Buster around for the next 4 years to come...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)