Re: Maintaining all of the testing-cabal packages under the OpenStack team

On 2020-06-29 23:55:49 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> nodepool from OpenStack,

Well, *formerly* from OpenStack, these days Nodepool is a component
of the Zuul project gating system, which is developed by an
independent project/community (still represented by the OSF):

    https://zuul-ci.org/
    https://opendev.org/zuul/nodepool/

You could probably run a Nodepool launcher daemon stand-alone
(without a Zuul scheduler), but it's going to expect to be able to
service node requests queued in a running Apache Zookeeper instance
and usually the easiest way to generate those is with Zuul's
scheduler. You might be better off just trying to run Nodepool along
with Zuul, maybe even set up a GitLab connection to Salsa:

    https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/reference/drivers/gitlab.html

> and use instances donated by generous cloud providers (that's not
> hard to find, really, I'm convinced that all the providers that
> are donating to the OpenStack are likely to also donate compute
> time to Debian).
[...]

They probably would, I've approached some of them in the past when
it sounded like the Salsa admins were willing to entertain other
backend storage options than GCS for GitLab CI/CD artifacts. One of
those resource donors (VEXXHOST) also has a Managed Zuul offering of
their own, which they might be willing to hook you up with instead
if you decide packaging all of Zuul is daunting (it looks like both
you and hashar from WMF started work on that at various times in
https://bugs.debian.org/705844 but more recently there are some
JavaScript deps for its Web dashboard which could get gnarly to
unwind in a Debian context).
--
Jeremy Stanley