Re: Maintaining all of the testing-cabal packages under the OpenStack team

On Monday, June 29, 2020 10:17:57 AM EDT Scott Talbert wrote:

> >> reason

> >> remind

> >> that

> >> specific

> >> itself is

> >> packages

> >> I don't agree this is best practice when backports are to be expected.
> >
> > I'm substantially less enthusiastic about bumping compat levels than
> > Ondrej, but since debhelper 13 is available in buster-backports,
> > backporting is unrelated to whether it's a good idea or not.
>
> Can you elaborate on other reasons not the upgrade the compat levels?
>
> Scott

This is a matter of personal preference, but since the behavior of debhelper
changes between compat versions, I prefer no to change it unless I have time
to thoroughly QA changes in the package.  This generally means I don't change
it often.

Unless there are issues with a specific compat level (hello compat 11) or the
compat level has been deprecated, I tend to not to do it, but I'm generally
pretty minimalist in my package updates.  That doesn't mean someone else is
wrong to do so if they've checked that package is correct after the change.

Scott K