Re: Maintaining all of the testing-cabal packages under the OpenStack team

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, Scott Kitterman wrote:

    More over, mock debhelper was upgraded to 13, for no apparent
reason
    (yet another "cosmetic fix" that isn't helping?). I'd like to
remind
    everyone that, increasing debhelper compat version to a number
that
    isn't in stable, without a specific reason (like the need of a
specific
    feature that wasn't there before) is just annoying for anyone
    maintaining backports. That's truth even for when debhelper
itself is
    backported to oldstable (it's always nicer to be able to build a
    backport without requiring another backport at build time).

nope, this is not true. Using the newest debhelper compat level is
recommended, see man page. There is no reason to __not__ upgrade
debhelper compat level. I will always upgrade debhelper in my
packages
to the newest debhelper as soon as possible. Please newer downgrade
debhelper in my packages again without asking.

I don't agree this is best practice when backports are to be expected.

I'm substantially less enthusiastic about bumping compat levels than Ondrej, but since debhelper 13 is available in buster-backports, backporting is unrelated to whether it's a good idea or not.

Can you elaborate on other reasons not the upgrade the compat levels?

Scott