Re: dh_python3 sets shebang to Python 2 -- is this a bug?

On 22.01.20 02:18, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> I don't think this is an assumption.  Debian adheres to PEP 394, which
> until recently said that /usr/bin/python is supposed to be Python 2, for
> backwards compatibility.  When I discovered this I felt increased trust
> in Debian and its developers for doing the sensible and standardised
> thing, rather than what some other distributions have done.  To everyone
> involved, thank you!  This also made me proud to be part of such a
> community :-)

well, looking a few years forward, Debian will be the only system not providing
a python command, incompatible with everybody else.  New users will not
understand that Debian doesn't have a python command when there's no Python2
anymore.

What we will do is to get rid off the unversioned python for all the packaging
in the archive, so that users can do what they want.

Matthias