Re: FYI: Python 3 migration of distributuion

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 11:11:43AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Currently, getmail is a candidate for removal from the upcoming Debian
> > release if it is not updated to support python 3 by someone (not
> > necessary by upstream).
>
> Thanks for the update, Osamu.  I have actually been playing with a prototype
> refactoring of getmail to not just support but require a recent Python 3.x
> version.  Such a project would give me the opportunity to remove a lot of
> historical cruft and backwards-compatibility code that getmail has accumulated
> over 20+ years.

That's great.  (I thought you rejected idea to move to 3.0.)

I tried to do it around getmail 5.5 days.  (I didn't finish it)

> Unfortunately, it's difficult to find the hours to devote to this task.  I
> don't know when, or even if, I could have a beta release ready.
>
> > If you convert python 2 code for 2.7 style, then we can support both
> > python 2 and 3.
>
> I'm not very interested in doing this, as it means not using a lot of 3.x
> features, or not using them in the most Pythonic way.  My thought was that
> this project would target at least Python 3.7; anyone who didn't want to run
> 3.7 could still run "legacy" getmail under Python 2.7.

I understand.  When I tried to convert this to Python3, the first thing
I did was clean out all backward compatibility codes, too.  It is too
much work to keep them.

Also if it is Python3 only, we don't need to add things like:

from __future__ import division
 from future import standard_library

If you have a public git repository, maybe some Debian developer may
help you.  If you want, I can set up one at salsa.debian.org (or
github.com) where ever you are comfortable.

At least, if we have a place to share work in progress, we don't
duplicate efforts.

Osamu