Re: FYI: Python 3 migration of distributuion

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> Currently, getmail is a candidate for removal from the upcoming Debian
> release if it is not updated to support python 3 by someone (not
> necessary by upstream).

Thanks for the update, Osamu.  I have actually been playing with a prototype
refactoring of getmail to not just support but require a recent Python 3.x
version.  Such a project would give me the opportunity to remove a lot of
historical cruft and backwards-compatibility code that getmail has accumulated
over 20+ years.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find the hours to devote to this task.  I
don't know when, or even if, I could have a beta release ready.

> If you convert python 2 code for 2.7 style, then we can support both
> python 2 and 3.

I'm not very interested in doing this, as it means not using a lot of 3.x
features, or not using them in the most Pythonic way.  My thought was that
this project would target at least Python 3.7; anyone who didn't want to run
3.7 could still run "legacy" getmail under Python 2.7.

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at:               http://pyropus.ca/software/